Wednesday, July 4, 2018

We Can't Wait For Global Read Aloud! Look How You Can Get Ready Too!

One of my favorite events every year is Global Read Aloud.  This year it starts on October 1 and runs for 6 weeks.  
I have participated in Global Read Aloud from the beginning.  I love how GRA brings all of us together through books, reading and celebrating the wonderful authors and illustrators that bring our readers these special reading experiences. 

One of my favorite GRA memories is when the 5th graders at Van Meter teamed up with 5th graders in New Hampshire to read Sharon Draper's Out of My Mind.  Every week they all came to the library where we Skyped with the class in New Hampshire. We used Edmodo for discussion as we read and to keep the conversation going throughout the week.  It was an amazing experience for all of us.  

I am especially excited about Global Read Aloud this year as we get ready to celebrate it at Van Meter.  I ordered the books last week and can't wait to share these with all of our students and teachers.  This is an amazing year of books, authors and illustrators!  

My amazing friend and educator Pernille Ripp, who founded Global Read Aloud, stated this on her blog about the 2018 wonderful selections, 

With an emphasis on perspective, on understanding others, on connecting and change, I feel that all of the books and picture book authors chosen will help us see the world in a new light.  Will help us make connections.  Will help us build community both within our own classrooms, but also with all the thousands of classrooms that will participate.  As usual, I hope you like them, I hope you read them, and I hope you read all of the amazing contenders as well.  Deep breath here.
If you haven't already signed up you can visit the 2018 Global Read Aloud Sign Up online.  This is how we will receive all of the details about GRA.  
You can also find lots of great information on The Global Read Aloud Facebook Page and there is a Facebook Group for each GRA group too. 

You will find them here: 

I have also started a Global Read Aloud 2018 Collection by Destiny.  I will keep adding things as they come up including project ideas, all of the Facebook Groups, ways to connect and more!  You will find it here. 

Please feel free to follow or become a collaborator to help me with this Collection too.  I would love to have you. 

Our students and teachers look forward to connecting with the illustrators, authors and all of you as we read these amazing books and celebrate Global Read Aloud 2018!  

No comments:

Post a Comment