
We have been in our new library and Makerspace for almost 6 weeks now. Our library neighborhoods are open with new shelf markers, browsing bins, signage, and more. It been so much fun thinking through all of these things in our new space. There are so many types of signage, shelf markers, and ways to set up a library. One of the most important things is to make your library a space that fits the needs of your readers and community.

In our library, I created library neighborhoods. Here is a neighborhood for Picture Books, Early Readers, Nonfiction, Chapter Books, Graphic Novels, and 4th-5th Grade Books. Each neighborhood has a color for all of the labels and signage that represents that area.
Here is the Our Library Neighborhoods sign I created in Canva. I print all of my signs on heavy cardstock paper so they look nice in the holders.

In each neighborhood, I ordered these sign holders from Demco.

They are double-sided and a great size to hold signs for the tops of the shelves throughout the library.
You will find the Demco Clear Plastic Double-Sider Sign Holders
here.
Here is the Canva template I made for the neighborhood signs in our library.
On the ends of the shelves, I added these 6 x 4 inch acrylic sign holders. They just stick to the shelves with double sided tape that comes on the sign holders.
I found the signs holders on Amazon
here. Here is the Canva template that I created for these signs.
Throughout each neighborhood, I added these shelf label holders to highlight the different genres.
I found these acrylic shelf label holders on Amazon
here.
I made the labels in Canva.
Here is the template.
I love how easy it is for our readers to go to the shelves,
find the neighborhoods,
...and find the genre areas within those neighborhoods.
We even did it for our Novel Effect and...
...Iowa Award Books Neighborhoods.
To create dynamic shelving areas and easy browsing throughout our library,
we added over 150 clear book browsing bins.
We have a lot of series and special collections of books throughout our library.
First, we organized all of the books into the book bins. We then made a list of the book bins.
I created all of the labels for the book bins in Canva.
I used cardstock for these labels too.
I love that the book bins have a space for the label. You just slide it into the space.
Again, each label is color coded matching the library neighborhood.
When everything came together, it made such a difference for how our readers will find books in the library.
Last week, we started working on the Picture Book Neighborhood.
I will add signs in front of each browsing bin for our picture books.
I am adding lots of pictures of popular authors, illustrators, and titles to these signs for our readers to see as they look for book to read.
And just Picture Books on the outside of the bins.
I love how our library....
...and Makerspace have come together over the last 6 weeks.
It's almost done and this week the rest of the shelves are installed in this piece that goes down the ramp in the library. This section will hold our Early Reader Neighborhood.
I am also going to do a little more with our tonies® Library this week. I will share soon. You can see what we have already created
here.
Our library is open and what a difference it is making for our readers, teachers, and community.
No comments:
Post a Comment