Sunday, May 31, 2015

What Can You Find Out With DK's New Reference Site "DK FindOut"?

DK has a new website for our elementary students.  It is called DK FindOut and asks our children...

What do you want to find out?  
I read about DK FindOut when I was looking through the new Maker issue from School Library Journal.  They had it featured in the Reference Reviews.  You can read the review online here. 

I am excited about this website and agree that there is a lot of promise for DK FindOut!  

I gave it a little test run today.....You should really do the same and share it with your students too. 
It is very easy to type anything into the search bar.  I typed in Australia to see what I could learn about before we land there in a few hours.
I read all about Marsupials in an interesting article and learned a lot from the beautiful photographs that DK is known for.
At the bottom of the page, there was a box filled with Fast Facts.    I found several of these boxes with special information on the website.
There are also little dots on the photographs throughout the website that when clicked on will give you text boxes with more specific information and details. 
There are places that allows one to listen to information as well by clicking on the red speaker, like shown above.

As I read the review from School Library Journal, I was excited to learn that DK's plans are to make the website more personalized in the future by adding My Stuff where students can store things that are of interest to them.

I had a great time looking around DK Find Out.....I just know our young learners will love this one too.

5 comments: