Sunday, October 22, 2023

Creating State Award Book Interactive Bookmarks and Choice Boards! Find All Of The Canva & Google Templates and Directions Here, Friends.

 

State award books are such a wonderful day to get our readers excited about reading all throughout the year.  In Iowa, as many states, we have award book categories for picture books, children, teen and YA. 

I love creating experiences around these award books in our library and throughout the classrooms to get our students and teachers excited about the books, authors, and illustrators. And everyone loves that we get to vote for our favorites in the spring too. 

This fall, I created interactive choice boards (using Canva and Google Slides) filled with book trailers and videos from the authors and illustrators.  This is a great way to introduce the new award books each year.  It gives our readers a glimpse into what the books are about and connects them to a lot of different authors and illustrators. 

I print the choice boards off too...

...and turn them into posters. We put these with our collections of award books and I pass them out to the teachers so they can put them up in their classrooms too. 

I just add a QR code and bit.ly (short URL) to the choice boards so they can be explored and used by our readers anywhere.

You will find the post with the interactive choice boards for the Iowa Goldfinch Award and Iowa Children's Choice Award here in this post.

In this post, you will find the 2023-24 Iowa Goldfinch Award choice board (book trailer room) too. 

After I created the choice boards, I turned them into bookmarks to share with our students, teachers and families. Canva makes it so easy to do this. 

I went into Canva where I created the choice board backgrounds. You can find it here to make a copy.
Up in the left hand corner under Magic Switch, I typed in bookmarks and clicked on the 2 x 6 inch Bookmark. 
After you change your design to a different size, it takes a bit to move things around but I was able to turn the poster into a super fun bookmark for the Iowa Children's Choice Award Books and...
...the Iowa Goldfinch Award Books. 
On the back of the bookmarks, I also added the titles and authors. This will give our readers a place to keep track of what they are reading...
...and listening to in the library and classrooms. 
We have eBooks and audio books of these titles in our Destiny Discover, so I added a bit.ly for students to read and listen online at school and at home. 
And we using Destiny Discover Engage as a book club for our award books. The kids are so excited about this and can log their reading and write reviews at school and home. This is on our bookmark too. 

I will post about our Destiny Discover Engage book club soon, friends. 
Once I had the bookmarks exactly how I wanted them with all of the information, I went to Vista Print to order full color, front and back bookmarks. You will find the link here.
I was so excited to get these from our mailbox yesterday after being at the AASL Conference. 
They turned out perfect. 
Our readers will love getting them this week when they come to the library. It will be like a ticket when they read and experience the award books this year.  

Reach out if you have questions on how to make and use these for your state books, and other book lists, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment