Saturday, February 22, 2020

A New Twist To Our "You've Been Book'd" Program!

One of our most successful reading promotion programs at Van Meter has been You've Been Book'd, which brings several new picture books to our students, teachers and school community every month throughout the year. 
I saw this adorable idea during Read Across America Week last year from Weaver Elementary on Twitter called You've Been Book'd! 
I love this program. It's such a special way to get more books into classrooms and the hands of teachers and students.  
One bag starts out in each of the grade levels kindergarten through fifth grade...
....with a different picture book in each.  These books will be new to our library collections and ones that haven't been shared in the library with our readers yet.  This will make them super special and new for teachers to share and read aloud. 

I have so much fun picking out the You've Been Book'd all year long...even though it sure is hard to narrow down the list. 

You can read the first post about this program at Van Meter here
On Monday, I am sending the newest list of 15 amazing picture books.  I love focusing the books on different topics and celebrations that are timely to the month and year. This new list will focus on more for Black History Month, Digital Learning Day which is on February 27 and Read Across America, which we will celebrate the week of March 2-6. 

But this time...I have added a little surprise to the You've Been Book'd books!  

Inside the book, the teachers and students will find a QR code that will take them to something special for each.  

Take a look at a few of the things I included with the QR codes for each book. 
For Help Wanted Must Love Books written by Janet Sumner Johnson and art by Courtney Dawson, 
I found the cutest book trailer...
For Hair Love by Matthew A. Cherry and illustrated by Vashti Harrison, 
 I included the Oscar-winning Short Film, Hair Love, from Sony Pictures Animation. 
 
For Bears Make the Best Writing Buddies by Carmen Oliver and illustrated by Jean Claude, 
I included the book trailer to another title from this series, 
For Parker Looks Up, An Extraordinary Moment, by Parker Curry and Jessica Curry, illustrated by Brittany Jackson, 
 
I included a short interview from NBC Nightly News with Parker Curry herself. 
 
 For My Footprints by Bao Phi and illustrated by Basia Tran,
I included the book trailer, again from Capstone's YouTube Channel.  
 
And for one that I just had to include for Read Across America, The Incredible Book Eating Boy, 
 I included an interview of Oliver Jeffers drawing the Book Eating Boy himself. 
I hope that these little additions will make the You've Been Book'd selections even more meaningful and inspire our readers and teachers to visit the books, author, illustrators and publishers for even more of their wonderful books and experiences.  

No comments:

Post a Comment