Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I Spy Author Jean Marzollo Visiting Our Library To See The "I Spy Van Meter School" eBook

We have a section in our nonfiction labeled "I Spy".  This is one of those spots in the library that our students gravitate to.  They just love the I Spy books.  

In fact, our secondary students use to go down to check out the I Spy books from the elementary library so we have even added several to their collection too.  

Everyone loves looking at the amazing photographs filled with hidden treasures and reading the playful words that go along with them to create the fun stories.  
                                              
Jean Marzollo is the author of the I Spy series and many other books for children. 

After several students asked me if we could Skype with her I reached out and asked her to visit our library virtually.  We are so honored to have Jean visit Van Meter. She is going to visit in October with our 4th graders.   

In the library yesterday I told the 4th graders and they were so excited.  

I then share the letter that was sent about Jean's Skype visit to our library.  She wanted us to do a few things before she connected with all of us.  
                                  
We decided together that we would create an eBook called I Spy Van Meter School.  Each one of the students would have their very own illustration and riddle on a page.  

We wrote a letter to their parents reminding them to bring materials to school next Tuesday and Thursday.  I encouraged them to make their photograph illustrations personal and special to them.  We brainstormed all kinds of items they could bring to create their scene for the illustrations.  It will be really fun to see what they bring. 

They will then use their iPad to take photographs of the I Spy scene they create.  Only one photograph will be needed, so they can edit them and choose which one would be best for our collaborative I Spy eBook.  

We will be putting our eBook together using FlipSnack after school next Thursday and Friday.  Any of the 4th graders can come and help us put our book together.     
                             
After setting up the visit I was walking down the hallway at Van Meter and passed by this AWESOME new display created by Janelle Thompson, one of our instructional strategists in the elementary, and her mom.  

I was happy to see that it fit exactly what we were doing in the library and with Jean's visit.  

There are also many resources online that I have put onto the 4th graders Symbaloo about Jean and the I Spy series.  
On her website JeanMarzollo.com you can find so many things about her and the books that she has brought to all of us.

I really enjoyed looking over the page of Jean's Books For Children To Explore.
 And check out this page filled with I Spy links to resources and activities. 
Also, Scholastic has a wonderful I Spy website that our kids love!  It contains books, online games, video games, 
I especially like the I Spy The Library online game from the website.  It is so fun to find things hidden in the library pictures. 
They can even "Make a Picture Online" and "Write a Riddle Online" on the Activity Page.  
We are all very excited about creating our very own I Spy book and having Jean visit us at Van Meter.

She will spy some very special young people that day......and we will share their book with all of you too.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea, to create a personalized I Spy book! They were always very popular in my elementary library - great for developing visual literacy. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very superb and such a nice article thanks for sharing this post.

    live Essay Creator.

    ReplyDelete