Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Genre Neighborhoods Are Now OPEN In Our Library!


On October 9th,  I wrote the post It's Time! We Are Moving Our Fiction Into The Genre Neighborhoods!  This is the second big change we have seen within our elementary library at Van Meter this year.  Earlier in the year, we "Ditched The Dewey" and reorganized our nonfiction into categories.  

Diana, my library associate, and I brainstormed the genre categories the fiction would be moved to and away she went on relabeling, updating the MARC records, and putting them in the new neighborhoods on the shelf.  

Today as I look around the library, I love being able to see the new genre neighborhoods OPEN and ready for our students, teachers, and school community to come and visit.  

I can't wait to see what this change will create as they browse, check out and read books within the genres they love and new ones they haven't ventured into before. 

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog and was wondering about genre shelving in my elementary school library. I use Scholastic Book Wizard and Follett Titlewave to assist in identifying genres. I also have the students decide during a library class. How do you decide on the books that are both realistic fiction and mystery, or any other books that are mixed genres? Thanks for your input! Is there a way I could access your catalog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      I am so sorry I missed your nice comment. :) We decided what genre the books were by looking at the MARC records and also Titlewave. If we have a choice of which neighborhood the book went, my associate and I would talk about it and decide together. And that might even change for a few titles too.

      Yes, you can view my catalog at http://209.56.200.4/common/servlet/presenthomeform.do?l2m=Home&tm=Home&l2m=Home

      Please let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to help. :)

      Have a wonderful holiday, Shannon

      Delete
  2. How are you showing in Destiny where a book is located? Are you still using standard spine labels as well as the genre labels?

    ReplyDelete