Monday, December 14, 2009

Another Snow Day! What to do now!

header_1.jpg


When I woke up this morning, I could hear the wind and knew that the weather might now be good enough to have school again. By 8:30 am, school was cancelled and we were wondering what to do in our house. My son is reading The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan and loves the first book of this popular series. But my daughter and I wanted to find a few new books for these days at home and our break coming up.

I love going to teenreads.com to read about new books, authors, and all the news in the literary world of young adult books. You can sign up for their online newsletter which is a great way to keep up with this site. I also like how they include the covers of the books and that it is written for young adults. There is also a page called "Videos and Podcasts" which is a fun place to watch new book news from authors and others.

Also, Barnes & Noble Teens. It gives GREAT reading ideas by featuring new releases, teen favorites, series, award books, and much more. I especially like how the books are put into popular catergories. For example, today there are several books featured under the heading "Dark Romance....Books for the Lovers of Super Natural." If you liked the Twilight series you will find a new book under this heading for sure!

And of course the best way to learn about books to read is by listening and talking to others.
There isn't a day that goes by in our library at Van Meter that I don't hear about 4 or 5 great books to read. This is one of the best parts of my job as a teacher librarian. And of course I want to keep the VOICES coming in our library! :) Thanks for sharing everyone.

Have a wonderful safe day at home and enjoy some quiet reading and sharing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment