Wednesday, September 27, 2017

My First Time Visiting Students As An Author....I Went To Texas Virtually Today!

Today was a very special day!  

It was the first time I shared my new books as an author with a group of students. 
My friend Kelly Shelton, who is an elementary librarian in Fort Worth, Texas, asked me if I would connect and read to her students.

I didn't even hesitate...of course I would!

We planned to meet over Google Hangout and after a few little bumps connecting this morning, Kelly had the great idea to project her phone using...
an ELMO.  I love showing this because you have to be creative and calm when trouble shooting.... even during Google Hangout and Skype connections.  :) 
Another teacher Kim Rivera was sharing tweets and pictures so it was wonderful seeing all of their students together ready to read and sing...
Staying Safe Online, one of my new Library Skills Series with Cantata Learning.
I played Staying Safe Online in the background and held up my book as the students sang along. 
Afterwards they asked a few amazing questions.
It was really fun to talk to them about the process of writing a book, especially sharing what it was like working with all of the people who are part of that process.  
I loved being able to get a couple pictures of them too....
and a view of where I was at home in Iowa.

I just wanted to share a little bit about Staying Safe Online and the other books from the Library Skills Series with all of you too.

Staying Safe Online teaches our youngest learners all about the online world and what they need to know to stay safe online and be productive, engaging digital citizens.   
Not only will they learn along with the adorable animal characters created by illustrator Kathryn Durst, they will sing along with Emily Arrow, who wrote and sang the music for Staying Safe Online and the other three books in this series, 

Click above to listen to Staying Safe Online.  

I just love how Emily took this story and made it into such a sweet and catchy tune for all of our young learners to sing as they learn how to stay safe online and practice their digital citizen skills.   

I know you will love it too!  
As you are singing along with your students, you will find the music.... 
...and lyrics in the back of the book and also on the Cantata Learning site. 
There is a CD in the back of the book (in fact, in all of the Cantata Learning books) or...
...the QR codes, which is on the back of the book and inside the book, can be scanned to go to the music....
...on the Cantata Learning site too.  

The music can be streamed, download and there is even an instrumental version of Staying Safe Online too. 

You will find Staying Safe Online here
Staying Safe Online is perfect to use when teaching your students simple digital citizenship skills and as you kick off another year.  

I hope you love reading and singing it just as much as I do.  
You will find it on the Capstone site here
And now it is even available as an eBook! 

I had the BEST time with Kelly, the teachers and most of all of these children in Texas.  It truly made my day.  Thank you so much for having me visit.  

I can't wait until next time.  If you are interested in connecting online with your students, please let me know.  I would love to connect with all of you too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment