Saturday, November 1, 2014

It's Time To Celebrate Picture Book Month & All Of The Beautiful Books We Love

It's November....one of my favorite months of the year.  The air is turning crisp, the holidays are upon us, and there is something very special to celebrate.

It is Picture Book Month!  This time every year we all celebrate the beautiful picture books that are being created by so many talented and inspiring illustrators and authors.

  • Dianne de Las Casas, author and storyteller, created this day to lift up picture books with all of us.  
  • As the website states
  • Picture Book Month is an international literacy initiative that celebrates the print picture book during the month of November. Every day in November, there is a new post from a picture book champion explaining why he/she thinks picture books are important. 

    We can join in the celebration by becoming a Picture Book Month Ambassador....You can find these badges on the website to put onto your blog or site too.  
    There are also several different promotional tools like this shelf talker and  
  • poster to tell others about Picture Book Month.   I really love the Teachers Guide...It is packed full of terrific ideas that your students and teachers will love too.   
Last week I spent some time with one of my favorite children's author Patricia Polacco.  Her books have made a special impact on my life as a mom, teacher, and librarian.  
As Patricia and I talked at the the School Library Journal Summit, she told me the story behind Mr. Wayne's Masterpiece and her newest book Fiona's Lace. She told me that I just had to get Fiona's Lace as it was the story about her Irish great grandmother who was a redhead too.

I sent Patricia's book to my sister Heather, who is a teacher librarian, so she can share it with the children in her library for Picture Book Month.  

During this month, share and celebrate all of the picture books that you love....and take the time to discover all of the new ones being published every single day.  

They are a gift to all of us.  

Especially a gift to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment